When a business has been in continuous operation for over 150 years it can be reasonably said that they are doing something right!
Such is the case with Gow’s Home Hardware, well known and respected in the community for its generosity and as a friendly place to shop. From humble beginnings in 1848 under the guidance of Robert Dawson, the hardware business that exists today started to take form. In 1929 Walter Gow purchased the hardware business from Mr. Dawson beginning the Gow’s Legacy. Frank Gow managed the business growth through the 1960’s and 1970’s and in 1964 Gows’ Hardware joined the team of Home Hardware (the inaugural year) becoming the Maritime's first chartered member. In 1989 the small store moved from King Street (15,000 square feet) to its current location, in the Eastside Plaza (33,500 square feet) were Peter took the helm.
In 2012, Peter Gow retired selling the business to a loyal, then 34 year old enthusiastic employee, Amanda Fancy. Amanda began as a teenager, working as a cashier at the store but left for a short time to attend Business College. Upon her return she worked in the accounting department and later became the systems manager. With her job she worked closely with Peter for many years, going to markets and buying shows. She was a trusted and knowledgeable employee and ideally suited continue the legacy that is Gow’s Home Hardware.
Today, Gow's Home Hardware exists as one of the top ten stores in Canada under The Home Hardware banner.